Friday, August 8, 2008

Lukey's Summer Activities

Lukey's summer was somewhat less eventful. Used the potty. Played trains. Played cars. Bothered his sisters. Read books. Rode in the van. Watched his sister's perform.



Each day as we drove by his preschool he'd beg me to take him to school. It was hard explaining the concept of summer vacation and that school wouldn't start for several weeks to a child who has no concept of the calender year.



Day after day he'd beg and cry to go. (Didn't help of course that we were driving by it around naptime each day.) Finally I told him his teacher wasn't there and that she was at home with her kids like I was home with him. That seemed to work; though he now keeps asking me if his teacher is still home with her kids. He's excited and ready.



Luke wakes me up each day about 7:30. Usually he wakes my by telling me he's hungry, though he actually doesn't have an appetite until 9:00. But he insists on being fed though it is always thrown away. Then I feed him at 9:00 and he eats. I learned to put a tiny amount of food in the first bowl.



Anyway, some days though, he wakes me up without asking for food. Sometimes he would just "pet" my arm for awhile. One day though, I will always remember, he was just giggling up a storm and "tickling" me, rolling all over me and laughing his head off. It was the most memorable wake-up ever. I told him I liked that and that he'd have to wake me up that way again, but he hasn't.



Luke's favorite things to day these days are, "Okay, okay, okay" when he's giving in to a demand (or giving up on one of his!). Another favorite phrase is, "You can.... if you want to." He uses that to convince you to do something he wants. Quite the tactic, making you think it's your decision. He uses this a lot at night when he wants me to lay down with him. "Mom, you can lay here. I've got a pillow for you. You can lay down if you want to. Here, go ahead." That's another one of his sayings, "Here, go ahead." And when you pause to contemplate it he'll add, "C'mon, just do it" like he knows you really want to. Uncle Mike said he should have Luke answer his calls because he might make more sales. Quite the little negotiator. True, it can be cute, but also having your two year old try and negotiate with you constantly is quite tiring, another real reason I didn't post much in July. It's one of those personality traits that will benefit him in the long run, but has it's drawbacks as a two-year-old. Grandma says he's just like his daddy like that; she said he always had to have the last word too.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Linliey is so ready for school to start also! Every morning she asks me if Summer is over and if it's a school day!